- We are currently in the process of migrating past words from the old “Ewoth” database
- New sorting and display options for the Strange Human Dictionary are coming soon to the website…
- We are taking new word submissions HERE and through our regular potluck dinners at your local church basement
- Follow David Werba at Twitter to get notifications about the hilarious new developments.
The History Of “Ewoth” And Moving To Strange Human Dictionary
Ewoth Dictionary (Ewoth.com) was founded in 2012 as the “evolution of the slang dictionary”, the first to credit and link back to word creators, allow people to claim words, integrate digital fingerprint, and more.
The Ewoth Staff was unable to further develop the website and address the growing backlog of word submissions, so SHN stepped in to acquire Ewoth Dictionary in November 2015. We are now re-branded as the Strange Human Dictionary, and word submissions continue to flow as more and more people realize the integrity of our vision.
Strange Human Dictionary Database Integrity
Since the dawn of the web, we have been observing the evolution of niche dictionaries. Collections of funny words, slang, corporate lingo, neologisms, and portmanteaus have popped up around the web over the years. Some have become quite popular, but none of them have done it right. Here are some key elements that we feel make our dictionary the ultimate resource for “words not yet accepted to the major dictionaries of the English language”:
1. Credit to the author/creator of the words. It’s about time, right? We will also provide a linkback to the creator’s Twitter page to show more proof. Many feel this feature alone makes us the ultimate resource, being the first dictionary of its kind to properly credit contributors.
2. Only original words. This will not be a place that lists words that are already in Webster’s and Oxford. This will also not be a place that re-defines words like “dog” and “cat” hundreds of times just so we can boast of a larger database.
3. Submit your own words. You can read more about the submission process HERE, but know it will be a legitimate process of excellence.
4. Claim your words. Another key sign of our integrity, by seeking to build a legitimate historical record , we allow people to claim their words providing they have proof. To claim or re-claim, go HERE.
5. SHN BLOG + Usage in context. Our blog covers a wide range of news, comedy, podcasting, and more. It will address the questions that people send in, better explain how we maintain database integrity, and periodically show usage of new dictionary words in context, etc. Just as interesting as new words, will be the real-world usage throughout SHN articles and our partners channels. See blog HERE.
6. Corrections. We embrace all feedback, and we encourage readers to contact us should any errors be noticed. For corrections go HERE.
7. We’ve got lexicographers! We’re not just another niche dictionary, we actually care about how words are presented and whether they make sense to the average reader. Our approval editors will fix the grammar in definitions, research, cross-check, and validate to ensure proper credit and date of origin. We will also ensure definitions carry no bias towards age, race, gender, political party, or creed.
8. Imagery/Comics. We create our own images and we also create some nice informative comic strips on some word pages to help people better understand word usage. (comic strips created by our staff are sometimes generated at http://www.makebeliefscomix.com and http://www.toondoo.com)
9. Digital Fingerprint. In partnership with DigiProve.com we have installed custom integration to provide a tamper-proof digital fingerprint for claimed, re-claimed, and submitted words. This is yet another layer of acknowledgement for the deserving authors/creators. This is especially helpful for people who don’t have a publishing platform, they want to register their new genius words somewhere quickly, and/or they want a safe place to submit where their word will be seen and referred to. All you have to do is submit it here at StrangeHuman.com and it’s officially on record! The DigiProve digital copyright process is only performed for claimed and submitted words on behalf of the creator/author, and we take NO ownership of the words submitted to our dictionary. Pretty cool, huh?
We will constantly be scouring the web for the latest excellent words of tremendous honor, encouraging and of course adding new submissions from readers. Feedback to our Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Google+ accounts will contribute to our Editor’s Choice category, and we will be rotating various different sorting widgets in the sidebar. We look forward to seeing your new words, and hope you enjoy your reading experience!
IN THE PIPELINE: SHN Dictionary Podcast, Professional Videos, More professional graphic imagery for words/phrases, revenue sharing for authors, and more!
This regal and glorious letter “E” is the temporary image used for words/phrases in the dictionary. We’d like to have original graphic imagery for each word and phrase, and we are looking to hire a photoshop master and more lexicographers to keep up with the growing backlog.
Please consider supporting us, we are unable to keep up with word submissions at the rate the public deserves. Every little bit helps and you can Become a Patron HERE…Excellent Regards!